Trying to decide where to go this morning included the “Will we be able to drive there?” question. In the end I decided on a gamble and we headed for Coire Fee. This choice resulted in Pete climbing his first winter buttress route; A-B Direct. This gave a scrappy 250m Grade II with a bottom section containing rather too much heather. However, it did improve with height, the groove and arete provided interest and we found a nice little exit above the col.
This area has received less snow than those further west and north and the buttress was being scoured. The turf was frozen where required, although care was needed with insulated areas. There was a surprising amount of ice, with Look C holding more ice than I’d expected, good looking ice on A-B Intermediate, but B Gully Chimney no where near fully formed. This will all change tomorrow judging by the forecast. The gully lines were largely scoured and we descended A Gully on turf, with no difficulties from the pockets of soft new snow/slab.
Below freezing at crag height all day. Fresh snow showers until mid-morning. Strong west/north-west winds (with east/south slopes loading quickly). Winds dropping during the day.