For the last week, Ivor, Martin and I have been staying at Las Vegas in the USA and climbing at the awesome Red Rocks. The weather has been superb at this world class sandstone climbing venue.
Below are a few thoughts on how to have a great trip to this amazing climbing venue. These are in addition to the excellent info present in the Supertopo climbing guidebook..
- Read approaches very carefully and then interpret them!
- The second edition of the full Red Rocks climbing guidebook is very useful.
- A British trad climber will find it useful to carry more wires than mentioned on the topos. Often when camming devices are suggested we were placing bomber wires.
- At weekends choose a venue that has a number of routes at your grade as the most popular routes can get busy.
- Twin Peaks in Las Vegas does great food.
- The Black Corridor crag is an awesome, friendly sports venue in hot weather.
- There is excellent info about red Rocks on the Mountain Project website.
- Near Desert Rock Sports on Charleston Boulevard (on the way out of town towards the Red Rocks loop road) are good local restaurants and a wholefood supermarket if you would like some healthier food options.
- Red Rocks is in the Moave Desert. Think about water, shade and how tight your rock shoes will be in the heat!
- It is worth getting a detailed road map of Las Vegas city centre if you intend to stay there.